Monday, August 13, 2012

Music Monday: Alabama Shakes

divinity [dih-vin-i-tee]
1. the quality of being divine

AKA Alabama Shakes

Oh hot damn. Don't get me started. Never have I ever been able to answer the question 'What is your favorite band?' now I think I have the answer: these guys. Oh should I say, this lady and her comrades.

Brittany Howard
As a friend of mine said 'that lady has absolutely awesome pipes.' Yep, yep she does. I saw them recently at First Avenue. She made it sound effortless. While I would have hoped for a more energetic set they never cease to amaze me and I can still listen to their CD on repeat, daily.


The whole gang

Members: Brittany Howard, Heath Fogg, Zac Cockrell, and Steve Johnson



They have such a poetic, precious conception which makes them all the more irresistible. Taken directly from the About section of their website:

The story of the Alabama Shakes begins in a high school psychology class in Athens, Alabama. Brittany Howard, who had started playing guitar a few years earlier, approached Zac Cockrell and asked if he wanted to try making music together. "I just knew that he played bass and that he wore shirts with cool bands on them that nobody had heard of," says Howard.
Delightful.
Not much else I can say to do these kids justice. Continue on to experience the pure and soulful strums...

"Hold On"





Join us next Monday for a flashback to a musical binge we enjoyed back in July. Additional commentary can be found here: Minnesota Public Radio

In the meantime, sit back, relax, and be astounded.

-H