Friday, September 21, 2012

Artsy Feelings

So I stumbled upon a nice article on CNN the other day about art and it got me thinking... what does art mean to me? What does art mean to G? What I do know is my favorite artist is Frida Kahlo. And the CNN article I read got me thinking about what about art I appreciate and what I think about regarding art. 
The article begins with an interesting thought,  

"Pablo Picasso once said, "We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth, at least the truth that is given us to understand. The artist must know the manner whereby to convince others of the truthfulness of his lies."


Of this I am certain: I am addicted to the art of the magnificent Frida Kahlo. I can blame this on the simple association of her Hispanic roots (and my BA in Spanish) but it is so much more than that. Her art blows my mind. Pardon the phrase. I cannot help myself. Her paintings alone are mesmerizing, but what lies beyond what is in plain sight is unimaginable. She manages to incorporate what is real and telling from her life, both the flattering and the embarrassing, despite the very approachable nature of her work. 



She was born Magdalena Carmen Frida Kahlo Calderon on July 6th, 1907 to her Hungarian/German?Jewish father Guillermo Kahlo and her indigenous/Spanish mother, as their third daughter. After she contracted polio, and rumored to suffer from spina bifida, she was involved in a bus accident at age 18 which left her in a full body cast, confined to bed, where she began to paint. Her mother had a special easel made for her so she could do this from her reclined position. She often painted portraits because she said she was always alone and insisted upon painting her own reality. 


She married the famous painter Diego Rivera two whom she was married twice. Both times were tumultuous due to their fiery temperaments and involved multiple extra-marital affairs from both parities. She only ever presented her art formally at two shows and has achieved more spectacular fame posthumously but I adore her nevertheless.  source


Arguably one of her more famous works:
The Two Fridas
One of my favorites and the first purchased work by a 20th-Century Mexican artist in an internationally renowned museum; the Louvre:



Do you have a favorite artist? Explore beyond IKEA, great art awaits thee.

Other great sources:
"The Trouble With Frida Kahlo"
Frida Kahlo

-H