Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Little Sibling Love

So, I was perusing the Twittersphere yesterday morning, and noticed #nationalsiblingsday trending. Although when I Google National Siblings Day, sources tell me it's April 10th, I'm totally okay with celebrating it today anyway. Siblings rock. Neither H nor I is an only child. I personally could not imagine being an only child--I only had a glimpse into this world for three years while living alone with my parents (I'm the youngest) and it was frankly quite terrifying (never do I want all of the parental attention devoted to me and only me).

I came across this article from 2006 published in TIME which describes the "new science" behind sibling relationships. Here's an excerpt:

From the time they are born, our brothers and sisters are our collaborators and co-conspirators, our role models and cautionary tales. They are our scolds, protectors, goads, tormentors, playmates, counselors, sources of envy, objects of pride. They teach us how to resolve conflicts and how not to; how to conduct friendships and when to walk away from them. Sisters teach brothers about the mysteries of girls; brothers teach sisters about the puzzle of boys. Our spouses arrive comparatively late in our lives; our parents eventually leave us. Our siblings may be the only people we'll ever know who truly qualify as partners for life. "Siblings," says family sociologist Katherine Conger of the University of California, Davis, "are with us for the whole journey."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1209949,00.html#ixzz27bORdIpg


How awesomely true is this. At least, in my case. I recognize that I am lucky to have two great older sisters who have been there by my side my entire life, and will continue to be no matter what. I always tell everyone that I am a complete mix of my two sisters, with, of course, a little extra rebellion sprinkled in.

I realize this is a sappy post, but take some time out of your day to thank your siblings, or if you don't have any or aren't close to yours, those in your life that have been with you through and through, and who have shaped you. 

It's a good thing I like my oddball pair of sisters, because frankly, I don't have a choice. I'm stuck with them forever, and they are stuck with me :0)

The Reis sisters are too good for a low-carb diet.

Oldest to youngest!
 Here's a little video I shot and edited for my sister Michelle's wedding. To this day, it's the video piece I am most proud of creating (even over client stuff at work), and it makes me cry like a little baby every time I watch it. Jess and I were joint maids of honor (and pretty amazing ones at that). This wedding was way cute: two English teachers getting married means lots of Shakespeare references and other cute literary- themed trinkets.



Sean & Michelle from Gina Reis on Vimeo.